Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Little Hunter Man is 3 . . .

Where to begin . . .
Can my little baby boy already be 3 years old?  I feel as though that should be impossible.  Am I crazy to be constantly cherishing my ability to hold & kiss him and him love on me back - because I know too soon my little boy will be a BIG boy and not want his "Mom" to be doing that mushy stuff.  What age will that be . . . I guess I'm hopeful something equally as wonderful will replace it when it does happen.  But for now, "Mommy" will continue to rock, hold, cuddle, kiss, rub noses, touch bellies (for whatever strange reason my child thinks this is too funny), and love on my ever growing little man as much as I can . . . praying it won't be the last time.  : )
I'll try to move past the weepy emotions. (can I blame it on pregnancy hormones?)
Maybe it's just that I love and enjoy him so much . . . but as much as I enjoy watching him grow & want him to develop, I soooo love this stage (just like all the others) and since I don't know what's coming next, it scares me to think it won't be as wonderful as where we are currently.
Silly, I know - I would never have dreamed I'd say this stage was just as sweet and precious as the newborn baby stage, the smiling & cooing stage, the crawling & giggling stage . . . etc, see I know that each stage is sooo precious!  What am I fretting over.  Ok - feeling a little better - I'm excited to see what joys 3 brings us.
Hunter had some major milestones this last year . . .
--Potty Trained--
I'll go ahead and say it - 100%, even at nighttime.  We still put him in a night time diaper, but it's been so long since he's had an accident in one of them, I feel its safe to say, "he's got it."  He's woken me up many times over the last couple of months needing to go potty during the night and takes pride every morning taking off his "dry biper" to "save it" for the next night.  The only issue we continue to work on is uhhm . . . aim.  Whoever said being potty trained was easier than diapers was wrong in my opinion.  I'm still wiping poopy bottoms to ensure cleanliness but now I've got three toilets (and surrounding walls & floors) that need daily, sometimes hourly, attention also.  I've tried strategies to help with this - cheerios to aim at, his concentration on making bubbles in the water, etc.  So far we're at about a 30% success rate.  I think too often he gets distracted or in a hurry, either way - I AM READY for this stage to "grow & develop."  : )  Although I do get to hear some cute quotes:
~He likes to say, "I'm Potty Trained."
~When his aim isn't quite on target, he says, "Next time Mommy."
~When he's hurrying but doesn't quite get it all into the potty, he tells me, "I not fast enough."
~One day he told me, "I need to pee."  After I explained to him that, that wasn't a very nice or polite way to say that, he told me, "Daddy tell me that."  hmm . . . so it was Daddy's fault.
~If he sees a friend or another child still wearing diapers, he asks, "He not a big boy Mommy?" haha
We've also had a few embarrassing moments (for mommy) :
~Several times while we've been outside, Hunter gives no warning of needing to go potty, instead just drops his drawers and goes - not worrying at what proximity he is to others, play equipment, or who may be watching
~And while on the topic of bodily functions, it only seems appropriate to point out that my little man finds great humor in passing gas . . . this could only have come from his Daddy or just innate boy-ness - not his Mommy.  But on several occasions, while grocery shopping with me or riding on his Uncle Phillip's shoulders during Meme's tour of the retirement home, Hunter has loudly asked, "You smell that guys?" and then starts giggling, often announcing, "I POOT" . . . And what's so bad, is that neither I nor anyone else around, can resist laughing at him because of the sheer cuteness & innocence of it all.  ohhh this child of mine . . . 

He found some new underwear I'd stashed for his next growth spurt.  I guess he doesn't mind a little sag when his "underwears" have firetrucks on them?
--Eating--
Hunter added so many new foods to his list of likes this year - so proud, and so thankful.  His appetite comes and goes but it never worries me like it once did.  We know now that some days are "hungry days" and some days just aren't.  He pretty much eats what we eat for most meals, with only slight variations.  Example: Our Taco Salad nights; he eats corn, taco meat, cheese, and chips.  His favorites remain the same . . . Spaghetti, shrimp & noodles, mac & cheese, grilled chicken, hot dogs, raw carrots, strawberries & sugar, grapes, yogurt, block cheese, scrambled eggs, almonds (papa nuts), pretzels, nilla wafers and apple juice & orange juice.  Recently added likes: peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, frozen entree meals (spaghetti & shrimp Alfredo) that make quick lunches a snap, oranges, watermelon, hamburger, broccoli (trees), chocolate protein shakes, and jello.

Hunter's favorite "treats" are: Reeces Peanut butter cups/eggs, ice cream sandwiches, a Sonic slushy "milkshake," a smoothie from Tropical Smoothie, Pop Ice, and his gummie vitamins.  :)

- A Sonic Slushy Story - 
Grandmommy & Granny took Hunter to Sonic the other day to get a "milkshake" slushy.  When momma asked Granny what she wanted, she replied, "I don't want anything."  A few minutes after Hunter received his treat, Granny asked, "Can I have a sip of your slushy?"  Hunter answered very clear and point blank, "No mam - Yous said yous not want anyfang."  hahahaha  I guess Granny will think twice before assuming her grandson will want to share with her.  ; )
Between 2 1/2 & 3 our little man's vocabulary has exploded.  I don't think there is anything he couldn't say if he wanted to (although he still won't repeat if he's asked), but he still manages to surprise us everyday with phrases or sentences he'll add into conversations.  Here are a few "Hunter-isms" I never ever wanna forget:
~After being sick & running a temperature one day, Andrew asked me how Hunter was feeling.  Before I could answer, Hunter simply explained about the fever by saying, "I broked it . . . "  hahaha
~When he's excited to show us anything, he always says, "Twose yous eyes - I got surprise!"
~One morning while we were cuddling in bed I called him my snuggle bunny, to which he replied, "I not snuggle bunny, I Hunter Man."
~When he's looking for something he very seriously walks around saying, "hmm, where can it be?" "maybe . . . "  "hmmm . . . where could it be . . . "
~He can connect & finish out sentences now; "two . . . of dem" "and then"
~"pretty dood" and "pretty awesome"
~We catch ourselves through his speech all the time.  Phrases or comments we make - only to hear them repeated a little later  :)
~When he's asked to do something or go somewhere and he's not really wanting to, like pick up toys, he'll say, "I sooo tired" or "I too tired" or "my feets are tired."
~Everytime we see a dog, he reminds us that he doesn't have a dog :) but that he does have a Lily and Colt, or "Tote" has a big dog - Boss.
~"No way"  "Woopsie Daisy"  "Rut Row"  "Ohhh Maaan"  "I did"
~If Hunter had a catch phrase it would have to be, "Fe Fi Fo Fum . . ."
though its so precious when he finishes it out saying, "I smell bwod of Eng-mash-mun.  Be he wive or be he dead, I'll grind his bones & make our bwead."   (thanks to Daddy & Papa Bob)
~For a few months Hunter would constantly & seemingly randomly say, "BoBo"  No one knew why, so to play it off Andrew turned it into a game where he'd reply, "Ge-Ge."  After so long, we decided it was possibly something he said when he just couldn't come up with anything else to say - like a filler when he got nervous, anxious, or excited.
~Hunter's most recent filler word is "Africa"  -  not sure where he picked it up, but he'll use it while playing with his trucks, "Africa, Africa" or when he's frustrated "Oh Africa."  Could be worse I guess :)

Turning 3 has brought on another change - the need for his Daddy's attention.  Oh my goodness, he has become so crazy about his daddy.  Everyday we wait for him to get home by the door and then Hunter runs fast & furiously to greet him outside (or hides from him - giving him "woo-hoo" clues to come find him).  Several mornings recently, Hunter has even cried & begged for his daddy to "stay home wif us."  It's so sweet.  We've explained so many times now the reasoning behind Daddy having to go to work, Hunter now explains it himself, "Daddy go wok and make us monies."  :)
But when he's home, Andrew is great to give his attention to our little man.  Hunter had been asking for a bicycle for what felt like forever, so he was thrilled (though not surprised, since we'd been saying "for your birthday") to receive this new bike.  
What surprised us was how he instantly took to it - like he'd been riding a bike all his life.  I guess it's from the last years worth of tricycle riding around the house . . . 
He was pretty proud of himself (and so was his mommy & daddy)
During our shopping around for the right bike, Hunter informed us that he wanted a "Hot Wheels one."  Neither of us knew what he was talking about but he was insistent on the fact that it had to be "Hot Wheels with vroom-vrooom handles."  haha  Luckily I caught a glimpse of a commercial after Dora one day that clued us in on what he was talking about.
It's exactly what he was wishing for.  And he's hysterical, the way he twists his throttle, throwing his whole shoulder into it, so he can rev his engine.  hahaa  It makes us laugh every time. 
I can't believe how BIG he looks in his carseat . . . remembering back to when his tiny little feet didn't even reach the end of that seat and we had it turned backwards.  Now he can even climb in and buckle it himself - How does that happen?
Hunter is better at talking on the phone these days, though he still has to be in the mood for it.  This particular evening, he was excited to tell Grandmommy about the new fishing pole Pa had given to him for his birthday.  : )  so sweet, twiddle and all.  I just can't help but melt every time he gets off the phone saying, "I wuv you"
Well this swing has had many years of fun, from mine & Colt's baby days through the last 3 years with Hunter . . . But the other day it could have caused a major disaster . . .
Those big brown eyes were like chocolate saucers as the rope snapped mid swing and caused my little man to fall sideways, head aimed towards the edge of pergola - Thank you Jesus for giving Mommy good reflexes at least once in my life . . . 
Finding treasures like these around the house always makes my heart smile, and reminds me how precious this stage of life is . . . (this random little set up was sitting by the front tire of my car in the garage)
I love how my little boy plays.  It's so different than how I played as a little girl, so its fascinating to watch and listen.  :)  There's just something so fun about lining up his trucks.  And I LOVE the sweet, different little voices he's started using as he plays.
At bed time or often before we leave the house just to run errands, Hunter likes to tell his toys bye, often saying, "sleep good, see you in the morning."
One of Hunter's favorite things right now are his library books.  Shocking - I know . . . it took FOREVER for him to be interested in books.  But now that he is, he's addicted. Especially books about tools, trucks, construction, and kitty cats.  
(all boy, with a touch of softness)
 During our most recent trip to the library, we were on a mission to find more con-"struction" books.  Along the way, he picked up several others that caught his attention, but we were having a hard time finding exactly what we were looking for.  When I finally pulled a book off the shelf with a big truck on the cover, Hunter's eyes lit up.  And then when I opened the front page and 30 different tractor/trucks were displayed - my son acted as if he'd won a million dollars.  He jumped up & down and kept yelling, "YEAH - a struction book."  Such a sweet moment - haha.  
 Needless to say he couldn't WAIT to get home and read it.  : )


A letter to my Little Hunter Man,
You are my precious, precious little boy - who I will always consider my tiny baby.  I can't believe how big you are getting, and how fast our last 3 years together have gone by.  You make me smile all the time with your adorable and always flowing questions of "why?" and toddler ways of thinking. You are so incredibly loving, which is a favorite characteristic of yours, for almost everyone you know.  You love on, hug, pat, cuddle, and verbalize your love continuously - which just melts all of our hearts.  You love for me to kiss your neck and underarms - laughing and telling me to stop the whole time - but as soon as I do, you say, "do it again Mommy."  :)  You also adore your kitty-cat Lily and can't resist wallering on her all day long, leaving you covered in her fur.
As always, your big brown eyes and hundreds of facial expressions you make, keep us laughing too and often make it difficult for us to correctly discipline you when you're being a skunk.
You still sleep with (usually snuggled between) me & Daddy.  We quit worrying over this battle before you turned 2 and are just thankful for a good night's sleep.  We do talk about you sleeping in your big boy bed or bunk bed one day, but for right now you wholeheartedly believe that our bed is your bed.  :) I love the snuggling & security it brings me to have all of us together every night.
You adore your Pa, Pops, & Papa and your Uncle Mike.  Whenever any of them are around you prefer their help and company over anyone else's.  The same goes for other male friends & family members, but especially these 4.  Luckily us girls get enough time with you alone, not to let our feelings get too hurt.  ;)  
I love that you love so deeply.
I am so excited to see what this next year brings us.  I expect that you are going to be an amazing big brother and I can't wait to see you in action.  You are already very sweet & loving towards my baby belly and with every other baby you come in contact with.  I also hope this brings on a much more gentle side of you - you still love so rough sometimes.  But we've been working on your love squeezes & hits hugs & pats.  :)   
Thank you for making my life better and more than I ever could have imagined.  You are growing up in so many ways but in just as many ways, you still need me too - which I love.  I know I tell you all of the time, but I Love You Huge Ginormous Much and I like you also.
I'll Love You Always, 
Mommy


The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him. May your father and mother be glad; may she who gave you birth rejoice! My son, give me your heart and let your eyes keep to my ways...
Proverbs 23:24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment