Friday, June 8, 2012

Hunter's 3rd Birthday & Backyard "Camping" Party

So this year Hunter really understood the concept of his "birthday" or. . . maybe he understood that a special day called his "birthday" was coming soon, which would allow him to get presents.  :)  Either way, he's been excited.
Pa kicked the celebrations into high gear when he came up to visit a couple days before the big day - and brought PRESENTS
Unwrapping is part of the FUN
Hunter's 1st Fishing Pole
His tongue helps him concentrate  ;)
 . . . and all the GEAR to go with it - Awesome
So much fun for a little boy to organize his 1st tackle box. He was in little fisherman heaven sorting his worms, lures, bobbers, even a pair of pliers & a flashlight.
He couldn't wait to try it out  --  Off to the swimming pool for a training session
He'll have it figured out it no time I'm sure . . . just needs a little practice

-- The Big Day Is Finally Here --

Our day started out perfect. (Yes, I consider it partly mine too since it was the day my world completely changed -forever more- and I gave birth to the most precious little man)  We snuggled in bed together, after he woke me up with sweet goodmorning kisses, and I told him the story of his birthday . . . how excited me & daddy were, how much fun we had at the hospital (after mommy got the special medicine),  and how sweet & amazing he was when the doctor put him in my arms.  It's so cute how much he gets into our "stories," real or made up.  :)  I think he could sit forever just twiddling my hair and listening to stories . . .

So after some precious cuddle time, we headed for some breakfast
and his first surprise of the day.
Hunter has been asking for some sunglasses, so when I found these at the dollar store, I picked up a couple pairs (I know how long they'll probably last, and I also know my son's attachment level to things he really likes - haha)
He was proud to show them off along with his new AGE - the big 3
Granny, Papaw, and Grandmommy came up early to spend the day with us and to give Hunter -- yep, more presents.
Hunter was SOO cute opening his birthday cards - first from Grandpa Don which held money and then from Granny and Papaw.  Their tradition has long been to give $25 in a card - but none of us ever dreamed Hunter would be excited over such a gift. Hahaha.  So boy were we shocked when he opened the card and $25 dollars divided among $1-$10 bills fell on the floor - and he started running and shouting with excitement, "MONIES -- I HAVE MONIES"  hahaha---Oh my goodness, this child of mine . . . at least his reaction gave the grandparents a good laugh.  :)
Momma also brought up Hunter's gift from her and Darrell (aka Grandmommy & Pops).  Though I'm not sure who was more excited over it, Hunter or Andrew.  I had "hinted" that Hunter might like a Nerf gun to shoot with his Daddy, but these guns were powerful, and possibly a little on the big side for my baby boy, considering it said for ages 6+.  hahah  Of course, he didn't seem to mind a bit -- faster, louder, bigger -- is always better for boys I think.
In the early stages of planning, I asked Hunter what he wanted to do for his birthday party - to which he replied "camping."  hmmm . . . that hadn't crossed my mind before but what a great idea.  I had been thinking something more along the lines of a "construction" theme because of his deep love for tractors, dump trucks, and any other big machine on wheels.  But this idea sounded super cute and really easy considering our family's love for camping - so I ran with it ( and had so much fun planning as always - maybe even more since I had Pinterest this year - Ahhh )  Everything came together last minute due to our crazy busy schedule this spring and my severe exhaustion during this early portion of pregnancy.  I knew it was going to be a very small gathering of friends and a few family members so invitations were kind of an afterthought, but I ended up finding some on sale at Hobby Lobby that worked with the whole backyard grilling/camping theme.
Before the guests arrived, Hunter got a chance to play with his BIG present from Mommy & Daddy . . .
A TRAMPOLINE
Which he couldn't wait to enjoy with his friends
The day before, I sat my little man down for his first birthday interview.  I hope to continue this cute (Pinterest) idea every year to see how much his answers change.  I also recorded it so that I could capture his precious little voice.  I loved all of his answers, although it took several marshmallows to keep him from running off.  :)

---- PARTY TIME ----

We knew one of the most important, and Hunter's favorite, part of camping is the tent.  It was a big hit with all the kids, running in and out and rolling around on the sleeping bags.
The next most important feature - the FOOD.  As we've done for the last three birthdays, we've fixed one of Hunter's favorite foods -- Hot Dogs.  I also tried out some new summer salad recipes that turned out pretty good too.
Pinterest helped me out with several adorable ideas
 . . . Strawberry & Grape Fruit Kabobs
. . . Pretzel-Stick Matches
. . . S'more Trail Mix
. . . and the cleverly easy, do it myself, topping decor for his S'more Cupcakes
I LOVED how it all turned out and especially how simple and inexpensive it all was
Hunter was a HUGE FAN of his cupcakes   :)
(which he helped me decorate, along several other party treats)
But my little man's favorite part of the party ? ?  Having all his friends at his house.  That's the one thing he continues to talk about -- how much fun it was to have his friends playing with him in his backyard.  So sweet . . .
Baby Alyssa & Baby Landon joined in on the birthday fun too.  Hunter adores these two sweetie-pies & showers them with love & attention whenever they're around. Ohh how I hope this sweet & gentle side of him continues after our baby arrives.
Nothing better than relaxing with friends
With Kellen's prompting -lol- swiping a cupcake . . .
we decided it was time to BLOW OUT THE CANDLES
ohh those eyes . . . 
Showing us he knows how old he is . . . and how many cupcakes he should get to eat  :)  hahaha
Who ate a cupcake ??  Not these two sweet girls 
Somewhere between eating the yummy cupcakes, chatting with friends, and keeping toddlers away from the swimming pool - we overlooked the several kiddos that had decided to move on to opening packages . . . It wasn't until the next day that I was really able to check out his presents or be able to decipher who had given Hunter what gifts.  oops.
Hunter loved everything he received so much, though he had a few favorites: a Car's Firetruck, water squirters, baseball & bat, an electric guitar (that we will so kindly reciprocate the Shore's household come Easton's birthday - haha), an awesome wooden puzzle set of construction rigs and a Chuggington Match game both of which he picked up on how to play quickly.
Most challenging event of the night -- Group Pictures of course  :)
Nanny & Papa stayed a little longer to help clean up and spend some QT with the birthday boy.  (thank ya'll)
As friends left, Hunter found his spot in the tent and almost succumb to the fun that had filled the entire day.
Everything looks prettier & more peaceful in the flickering glow of 
candles & tiki torches
I had glow sticks for all the kids . . . but sadly forgot to hand them out.  
Hunter had fun with them anyways.
Typical . . . once again we did not get a family photo during the event.  So we snapped a quick one for which Hunter was too tired to have any interest in smiling for  :)

Happy Birthday my precious Little Man  . . . I love you more than you'll ever know

"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."
Psalm 118:24

No comments:

Post a Comment