Saturday, February 18, 2012

My 'Ahh Ha' Moment for Getting Older

I have these moments from time to time where it just hits me - and I have this moment of realization. One of these moments happened this morning.  An 'Ah-Ha' about my age - or maybe more about my 'maturing.'
Here's the thing;  there are aspects of myself that have been there for as long as I can remember.  One of those things is my love for music.  Even though I can't sing a lick, play an instrument, or dance with any kind of actual rhythm or grace - I've always loved it.  So naturally I kept up with all of the great, latest, and up & coming artists, had them on tapes/cds/burned cds/mp3s, and new the words (or at least the chorus) to tons of great songs.   I had a song for every event, special occasion, sad time, etc.   Not saying I knew everything, just saying I was an avid music person and at my minimum - was at least 'current.'  

So from the time I was a little kid and mom would flip the radio or cd off and say, "whew, lets enjoy the peace & quiet for a minute" i would think to myself, "i will never feel that way."  And then other instances as I got older and would look at those a few years older than myself - i'd see them a bit stuck in the past, indifferent, and just 'not current.'  Once again I thought, I'm not going to let that happen to me.  And then again, later on after I got married, Andrew & I would hang out with other 'marrieds' and say to each other, "what do you think happens?  what is it that effects the ability to stay 'current'?"  Then we'd laugh and shrug it off, because obviously, that wasn't going to be us!!
Which brings us to the truly funny part.   i realized this morning that I HAVE BECOME THAT PERSON!!   hahaha I don't know how or when it happened (though I'm suspecting that it either related to a certain number of years out of school, or having a child).  But I have not a clue to what people are listening to (outside of KLRC), and I barely knew the names of any of the artists who won Grammy's the other night!  I mean, I found it quiet hysterical when Andrew (who never knows words to songs) came in singing a song I hadn't even heard before!!  Seriously, it's been released on the radio, long enough for him to know the words and I hadn't even heard the song?  hahaha - too funny!  And as I started voicing these thoughts to Andrew, my recognition of myself became very clear - I'm not current, not even close!  I mean, my most current mp3 list is from like 2008 . . . and to top it off - I realized I DIDN'T EVEN CARE!! lol  
That was the thought that did it for me.  I was officially indifferent and was laughing at the fact that I was out of date & truly didn't mind.  I could care less.  I can't tell you the name of any great hit songs for 2011, I have no idea what people are relaxing or dancing to, and honestly - I enjoy my now-old school music.  hahaha  I guess I'm really growing up . . . or getting old.  :)  It really sinks in when I see myself & Andrew a few years ago, just like Colt & Abby with how cute and 'current' they are with all their style & music.  And although we don't feel any older or any different -- to them, we know what they're really thinking -- that are the 'older' ones, with a toddler, slowly losing any threads of coolness we might have once had.  ;)   it's just too funny. 

I love how life evolves us, changes and grows us.  I love, that I love where I am in life.  I'm so thankful that I can smile and appreciate the fact that I'm getting older, and grateful that my priorities are where they are.  And even though it still came as a shock to myself, when I flipped off the radio the other day to "enjoy the quietness," I couldn't be happier that I actually did, "let it happen."
Hunter begged all day to have s'mores and a fire. The way he says 'marshmallows' is just about the cutest thing I've ever heard! Roasting them in the fireplace was a first for us, but soooo good I'm sure it won't be the last.  :)  Yummy!!

Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. 15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. 
Ephesians 4:14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment