Friday, August 12, 2011

Counting my blessings...

Today started out as I would call, "difficult."  Hunter hasn't been feeling well, just snotty & crummy, and really whiney.  And though I can fully sympathize (because I've been fighting the same junk), I've got a long list of "things to do" that never seems to shorten. But like all other 2 year olds, my little man didn't care - he just wanted to be held.  So for a little while, I struggled to keep him happy, fight off tantrums and still try to "get things done."  Then, while I was cleaning up one of his many messes in the kitchen, i heard him heaving all of his books off the shelves as fast as he could... I walked into his closest feeling frustrated & defeated and stared at the huge pile of toys & books.  Gently, God brought a friend to my mind and whispered to my heart saying, what a blessing to have this energetic little man who is able to make these kinds of messes and who you can love on and play with every single day.
Wow, what a reminder... thank you Lord, what a blessing...  
So after a light scolding and explanation on "playing with 1 toy at a time," we picked up the mess together and I rethought the rest of our day together.  I've been meaning to start trying this book of 'Fun Toddler Activities' and decided that today was the perfect day.  I think it would be really neat to work through the entire book by doing at least 1 every day.  So, today's fun: Goo, Glorious Goo! It was a HUGE mess and Hunter was thrilled!  Then after a long hot bubble bath, we cuddled, watched Mickey Mouse Club, read a few 'Critter' books, and I held & rocked him to sleep; all the while reminding myself that my "things to do" could wait and these moments won't...
 Thank you Lord for my many (often messy) blessings

 Sneaking a bite...
 "Eww!!! Pway Dame!!"
This is before...
 Starting out gentle...
He was thinking - 'This is fun but am I going to get in trouble??'
Once it was too late, I had the thought that maybe this "toddler game" might teach bad habits... Oops
 Really getting into the "feeling & mixing textures" aspect of the activity
"Sharing" with Mommy
Completely enjoying the yumminess this game offered!!  
(Andrew & I agree daily that he does the grossest things...)
 And the sweetest...

At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, 
“Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 18:1-3 

No comments:

Post a Comment