Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mommy School, KDO, & Awana's

Mommy School
I've been wanting to add a little "teaching" into our play time for a while now but hadn't made it a priority until towards the end of summer.  I did a little researching & 'Pinteresting' and found a great website (Letter of the week) with lots of easy, fun, and organized ideas for 'Mommy teaching.'  So I found an old binder, printed the first few weeks lesson plans & we got started!!
Here was the provided curriculum for Week 1:
This week's theme is COWS.
The vocabulary word is calf - a calf is a baby cow.
The letter is Aa.
The shape is a Square.
The number is 1.
The nursery rhyme is 'Hey Diddle Diddle'.


First on the agenda is a comprehensive poster to help organize & place focus on what is to be learned that particular week. 
In addition, I also added a bible story each week. . .
Week 1:  'The Golden Calf'

And memorizing a scripture that correlated to that week's particular letter. I used another site, 'I can teach my child," to provide the ABC scriptures.

Letter A:

Books to read aloud that support the theme:
Helper Cow by Sue MacVeety
And the Cow said Moo! by Mildred Phillips
The Little Calf That Couldn't Moo by Iris Hiskey
(Chunky Farm) Cow by Emily Bolam
The Cow That Went Oink by Bernard Most
Two Cool Cows by Toby Speed
The Cow Who Wouldn't Come Down by Paul Brett Johnson
Cow by Malachy Doyle
Calico Cows by Arlene Dubanevich
No Moon, No Milk by Chris Babcock

Our Book Choices: we already had these 2 books on hand at home (which also have great christian messages)

Poems that support the theme:
Little Calf
by Katrina Lybbert
"Good morning, little calf," gentle mother cow said,
"It's time to get up from your sweet hay filled bed."
Little calf jumped, stamped his feet, swished his tail,
And followed his mother past a shiny milk pail.
Out into the barnyard, holding his head high,
Little calf looked up to the blue, blue sky,
Birds flying past chirped a joyful song,
Little calf smiled, and felt happy all day long.
(This poem can be acted out at the appropriate places.)

The Purple Cow
by Gelett Burgess
I never saw a purple cow,
I never hope to see one,
But I can tell you anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one!

Songs that support the theme:
"Old MacDonald Had a Farm"
(Sing this traditional song with three verses)
The first verse can be about a bull... and on his farm he had a bull.... with a moo, moo here.. (make the sound deep and loud)
The second verse can be about a cow... and on his farm he had a cow... with a moo, moo here.. (make the sound high and loud)
The third verse can be about a calf... and on his farm he had a calf... with a moo, moo here... (make the sound little and soft)

"The Cow"
by Katrina Lybbert
(Tune: The Farmer in the Dell)
The cow wakes up at dawn, The cow wakes up at dawn,
Moo, moo, a great big yawn, The cow wakes up at dawn.
The farmer milks the cow, The farmer milks the cow,
Moo, moo, be careful now, The farmer milks the cow.
The cow eats up her hay, The cow eats up her hay,
Moo, moo, O happy day, The cow eats up her hay.
The cow plays with her calf, The cow plays with her calf,
Moo, moo, they sing and laugh, The cow plays with her calf.
The cow and calf now sleep, The cow and calf now sleep,
Quiet please, don't make a peep, The cow and calf now sleep.

Gross Motor Skills Activity: (Monday)
Put on some music and move around your home like a cow... don't forget to make sound effects.

Fine Motor Skills Activity: (Friday)
Build a cow with squares. You will need some white and black paper. Cut out one 4" square of white for the body, one 2" square of white for the head, about nine 1" squares of white to make the legs and tail, three or four 1" squares of black for the cows spots, and three or more 1/2" squares for the eye, ears, etc. in black. Help your child glue the cow together on another sheet of paper (of a different color).

Shape/Color (Tuesday)
This week you will teach the shape of a square
Walk through your home looking for squares. 
Put a drawing of a square on your learning poster.

We chose to play a game with squares . . .

Go on a square scavenger hunt . . .

And eat a square lunch . . .

Letter (Wednesday)
The letter this week is the letter A

Give your child a printout of the (capital) letter A to color.
Teach your child to trace the shape of the letter A using his finger. You can trace in pudding, finger paint, etc.
Point out the letter A in signs, cereal boxes, etc.
Post the letter A on your learning poster. 

Children's books are one of my very favorite things to shop for at yard sales, so we already have quite the collection of ABC books. Before we began these lessons, the only letter my little man could recognize was 'H' and would always say, "H - for Hunter"   :)  So with each letter he learns he wants to know whose name it's for.  So we designated 'A' for Ava and Abby.

Number (Thursday)
The number this week is the number 1

Show your child 1 object to count, or eat 1 cracker, 1 cheerio, etc.
Show your child the written symbol (numeral) for 1 and put on your learning poster.
Add 1 sticker to your counting book.
Show your matching index cards for the number 1 to your child.
Draw 1 square on a piece of paper and count it with your child.
Walk around your home counting 1 of many different objects.

Hunter has been counting for a long time, but when we began this lesson, I realized that although he knew the names of the numbers, & even how to count - he didn't recognize what they looked like yet! It surprised me, only because it hadn't entered my mind that I still needed to teach him that! haha So we started a sticker counting book - with trucks of course.

Nursery Rhyme (Friday)
"Hey Diddle Diddle"

Hey Diddle Diddle! The cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon;
The little dog laughed, To see such sport,
And the dish ran away with the spoon.

Since I grew up learning just about every nursery rhyme, I've wanted to try and pass it on to Hunter as well.


Not only did we have a new curriculum to complete together each week, I found a great resource to help teach Hunter about his emotions & possibly where they come from. "The essence of the Crabbie Masters Program is to get rid of The Crabbies in a fun way that children relate to and find exciting."

Hunter took to the concept right from the start and it's helped us out many times. Talking about the different "crabs" has become a normal part of our daily conversations.

We have them posted on the fridge, in clear view, right next to our current memory verse so that if needed, we can refer back to which crab might be after us. 
(This works for adults as well.) ;)

I also made an index booklet that I can carry in my purse or in the car. It's come in handy and often helps to 'detour' a crab attack, when I ask him to look through the book and find which one is trying to get him.

There's also a reward system that includes charts & stickers if he's able to keep the crabbies away or fight them off. The only one he doesn't seem to understand is the "can't do" or as we call it, the "shy crab." Instead of "getting rid" of it, he always wants to comfort it and tells me that it isn't a mean one. hahaha

Our second week's curriculem included:

Theme is JUNGLE.
Vocabulary Word is vines - vines are plants with long, thin bendable stems; they grow along the ground or climb up trees, etc.
We had help from the library for this week's book selection.

Shape/Color (Tuesday):  Green
This was a fairly simple but cute craft that we made using a toilet paper roll to create a green snake which also lives in the jungle.


Letter (Wednesday):  B
Once again Hunter needed to know who 'B' was for - so we chose Papa 'Bob' and Colt's dog 'Boss'.
Number (Thursday):  2
Nursery Rhyme (Friday):  "I Had a Little Nut Tree"


Poems that support the theme:
Jungle Adventure
by Katrina Lybbert
Creeping through the jungle, one hot summer day,
I saw a lot of animals pass by my way.
(Tiptoe around the room and pretend to look through binoculars.)
Monkeys swinging from vine to vine, (pretend to swing on vines)
Parrots fluttering in colorful design, (pretend to fly like a parrot)
Tigers, lions, and elephants too, (stomp around the room)
A tall giraffe like I saw at the zoo. (reach way up high)
Creeping through the jungle, one hot summer day,
I saw a lot of animals pass by my way.
(Tiptoe around the room and pretend to look through binoculars.)

Songs from Disney's Jungle Book such as:
The Bare Necessities
I Wanna Be Like You
That's What Friends Are For

Gross Motor Skills Activity:
Create a jungle obstacle course by using cushions, pillows, chairs, blankets etc. Put on some music and act out different jungle animals according to the sound of the music.

Fine Motor Skills Activity:
Find a printout of your child's favorite jungle animal. Create thin strips of green construction paper to represent grass. Let your child glue the "grass" strips onto the printout to hide the animal in the grass.
Week 2:  "Tower of Babel"
And he learned his 'B' verse very quickly although he kept switching up a couple words.  To help learn it better, I help him make up motions and for 'build' I acted as if I were hammering - I guess that was a mistake because it was about impossible for him to make the correction once he had 'hammer' in his head.  He also kept switching the words "each other" with "you-self."  But the cutest part of the whole verse is how he pronounces Thessalonians!!  
"Be kind . . . to one another . . . and hammer/build you-self up.
1 Thess-a-wonians 5:11"

But his favorite activity during week 2, watching "Jungle Book."
He loves to pop popcorn & settle down on the couch for an hour or so of "movie, popcorn, & coke."  It's become a special treat for both of us this summer.  It gives him an opportunity to rest, rather than nap, when he reaches that tired stage about 3pm -- giving me the opportunity to rest if needed or just some quiet/stillness to get a few other things done.  Win-WIN!

Kid's Day Out
Picture Day!
As usual we battled through the morning routine of eating, dressing, brushing hair & teeth, and getting out the door.  And like most KDO mornings I was grasping for anything to make this little man happy about going to school.  Hunter couldn't find his practice smile . . . 
Luckily, even though I failed to bring out a smile and he assured me before going into class that he did not want his picture taken, the photographer had better skills than mommy.  When I picked Hunter up later that afternoon he pridefully told me that he had fun and took "happy pictures" and said "turkey."  He also told me "sorry for crying mommy" because I'd left him in tears earlier that morning.
I thought they turned out pretty cute.  :)
And to my surprise, he took them again that Thursday - and once more said "turkey!"  Lol
After 2 full months of attending Kids Day Out, things are finally starting to improve!  Hunter has now gone into his classroom 4 times in a row without tears - 
A MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT.
I've even seen a few smiles before we've left the house
Hunter is funny in that he often switches responses between drop-off & pick-up.  Sometimes he falls apart crying when he's left and then is thrilled and full of hugs & kisses when it's time to be picked up.  While at other times he'll walk right into his class and then cries to stay because he's having "so much fun."  So to help with this, I found some 'Cars' stickers & bottles of red kool-aid juice that he feels are very special treats and I give them out on days he doesn't cry at either drop off/pick up.  
So far it seems to be helping.
These are the faces I get when I ask for a smile or even bring out the camera . . .  
 Even though it's obviously a front he's putting on . . .  
 And finally . . . my sweet boy
And even though we continue to battle through the 'getting ready' part of the morning, even that has lessoned a little.  (I am also learning what to push & what to avoid)  Waking up to a 30 min. cartoon such as Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Dora, or Bob the Builder (on DVR rather than live tv, so that it just ends rather than me having to 'turn it off')  a filling breakfast, and the 'treat' of being allowed to play games on the IPhone on the way to school have all really helped.
He was excited to wear his new tractor shirt for the hayride.  During the car ride home he was giving me all the great details from the day, and was so cute saying, "we had a hay ride . . . on a twailer . . . and a farmer drove it."  And then he corrected himself and said, "him not the real farmer, him just a man.  The farmer was working hard on the farm."  :)  It sounded like he had a great time.
Hunter Funnies Relating to KDO:
-- He told on himself the other day as we were leaving KDO when I asked him if he was good, he replied, "Yes mam . . . but I not stay on my nap mat."  We discussed the issue and I made it clear that I'd be asking his teachers at the next KDO if he obeyed & stayed on his nap mat.  Because if he didn't, he'd have a consequence (no red juice).  So when that time came around again, I asked him right off if he'd stayed on his nap mat.  In a most serious tone he said, "But I not have a con-se-quence.   Haha  Oh he's too smart & funny to stand sometimes.  But after talking to his teachers & understanding better the situation (Hunter doesn't nap, and is therefor placed in a back corner of the room as not to bother the other children, but is allowed to roll around & play quietly to himself) I now know this wasn't a huge deal but since my little man has become so smart about 'consequences' we discussed it again and he did not get his red juice when we got home.
-- He's talking about FRIENDS at school and even naming them!  This is too cute and too sweet.  So far 'Jack' seems to be his best friend in class, followed by Avery (on Mondays) and Owen (on Thursday).  He told me a few days ago that him and Jack "share & take turns" especially with the garbage truck since it was both of their "favorites."  
-- He's also asked me several questions about how to be a 'super star.'   I know he's excited for the day when he will get the special necklace around his neck but until then I keep reminding him the key factors to becoming the 'Super Star.'  When I picked him up this week he told me, "I not get off my nap mat.  I even sweeped (slept) . . . But I not get a super star - Owen did."  Haha . . . what could I say??  He had done exactly what I'd told him to do and he still didn't succeed.  ;)  
Oops - just keep trying buddy!
-- He also explained to me the difference between the red & blue playgrounds.  One is for the 'big kids' so it's a very exciting and special day when his class gets to go play on it!
-- He mentioned (for the very first time) a teacher/helper's name, Mrs. Patti, who he really likes.  She was his Awana's teacher last year, but he's NEVER talked about a teacher specifically before, so I knew she was special to him, and therefore, it was kind of a big deal for me.  :)  He said that sometimes he goes to another classroom with her, or she holds his hand when they walk in the hall, and sometimes she even sits with him . . .  and that he "weally likes Mrs. Patti."  I love this - but it did leave me wondering if he's needing/requiring special one-on-one attention??
-- Mom had come up to visit and help me out with some things around the house while Hunter was at school.  He didn't like this plan and after I'd finished telling him all about how much fun he was going to have that day he replied, "Nah, that's ok.  Grandmommy can stay wif me and you can go to school."

Awana's Cubbies
Hunter is now about 6 weeks into his first real year of Awana's.  Last year he went while I attended a bible study on campus but it was more of Awana's/childcare.  This year he is an official "Cubby."
We follow along in his Cubbies book and do a lesson at home together each week.
 He is also learning a corresponding memory verse each week that he's expected to recite back to his teacher's in order to earn a badge on his vest.  It has truly surprised me how his little mind can retain and recall, with a little help, all of these verses week after week.  
Although at this point it's a bit challenging for me to teach him anything.  Sometimes I feel like I've repeated the same verse 1000 times and he'll still look at me blankly or repeat it back completely wrong . . . it takes me back to years & years of listening to mom & Colt study spelling words.  Now I can truly understand & relate to her occasional frustration.  Lol  (these expressions are a significant reflection of the stage he's in right now)
This week was his first week not to cry and fuss about going to or coming home from Awana's.  (similar to KDO, he alternates back and forth to when he's going to be upset)  And a major step in the right direction was wearing his vest!  Up until this point he'd been insisting that he didn't need a vest because "Papa Bob already had him one".  (he'd bought Hunter a life vest to wear in their pool earlier this  summer) So to put it on and happily wear it to class was a big moment!  
I love that I can see God helping his little heart & mind to learn, grow, and develop - and is calming some of his anxiety & fears.  And I pray that more than anything else, what we are doing now is just the stepping stones to him growing a true relationship with Christ that he will hold on to for the rest of his life.

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. 
3 John 1:4

No comments:

Post a Comment