Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hunter Goes to the Dentist

Being a Mommy & a Dental Hygienist, has caused me to take a special concern over my little man's teeth.  So when I noticed a gaping hole in one of his baby molars at about 18 months - I totally freaked. I mean seriously??  We had all been suffering through months of brushings that included me holding his head between my legs-pinning his arms down with my thighs-while he screamed hysterically, just to insure they were cleaned thoroughly.  So yes, you can say I was more than a little upset when I saw the black hole starring back at me (upper right 1st molar for future recall).  I predicted what the future held for that precious baby tooth . . .  which became clear after Hunter's first trip to the pediodontist -- a pulpotomy & stainless steel crown, if we were lucky and it didn't have to be extracted.  :(  The mommy/hygienist in me hated the fact he would now have that shiny silver tooth for the next 6 years but more than anything, I knew it was going to be quiet the ordeal to even complete the procedure and I really didn't want him under IV sedation.  Hunter's pediodontist, Dr. Rhodes, is so great.  He understood my hesitations & fears and attempted a couple new treatments to prolong the tooth's life until he was finally big enough this year to have the pulp/crown procedure completed.  He also comforted me by saying that the tooth most likely erupted incomplete, allowing the decay to attack it so easily.  Hunter loves Dr. Rhodes' office, but hasn't ever been much a fan of anything past the waiting room.  hahaha  So I was completely shocked when this time he was such a big boy and went along with everything that was asked of him -- with absolutely no tears.  
He was of course a bit nervous & hesitant . . . 
But he was so great and even allowed a mouth full of x-rays.
His favorite part was the special tv with headphones just for him to use.
He even got his teeth cleaned
. . . and showed us a smile after everything was finished
I was thrilled to find out that during our waiting period for Hunter to "get bigger" they had brought in a nurse anesthetist to perform in-office sedation.  
Praise Jesus - such an answered prayer.  
Hunter was very brave (more so than Mommy & Daddy I believe).  And arrived that morning very excited to watch "the chipmunks show" and didn't even try to fight off any of the equipment or people OR CRY.  In fact the nitrous gas made him super giggly and spacey, so he didn't even flinch when they gave him his shot for sedation.
After he drifted off to dream land, we waited in the waiting room until the procedure was completed, and then returned to hold him as he woke back up.  It was both funny and scary to see him in that kind of state; moaning and slurring his speech, limbs flopping around with barely any control.  I was just ready to get him back to normal & home safe, and then just hold him the rest of the day.  (because of the meds, it took several hours to gain back full body muscle control)  So that's what we did - after waking up enough to drink some kool-aid we were allowed to go home, where we spent the next several hours piled up on the couch, cuddling and watching movies.  :)
And here it is . . .  our shiny tooth . . . and hopefully our LAST
**While we were brushing the other night, I was once again explaining the reasons why we brush, "so those cavity bugs won't make holes in our teeth and make us get more silver teeth."  Hunter tried to argue that no, that was his "special tooth that Jesus gave" him.  hahaha--NO . . . Although a sweet thought.  I told him Jesus gives us our pretty white teeth and when we don't take care of them, then the dentist gives us those silver teeth.  ;)

I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.  
Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment