Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Time Festivities

Christmas time is always busy - But it's a wonderful kind of busy!
We started off the season with the annual "Lighting of the Square" in downtown Fayetteville.  It's always a great time to enjoy beautiful lights with wonderful friends.
Hunter didn't seem to enjoy the lights as much as I thought he would . . . but he did love the light saber!! He was so cute with that thing.  When we first got there kids were flinging them everywhere and he couldn't keep his eyes off of them.  So when we asked him if he wanted one - he BEAMED with excitement and said "YES PWEASE!!"  You'd have thought we offered him a puppy!  It was precious!
 There's just something sweet about Daddies and Babies . . .
 Next, was our trip to paint pottery . . .  I had bought a great deal off of 'Living Social' and since I'd never  painted pottery before, I was supper excited to try it out.  But it was one of those times where what I envisioned didn't exactly match up with reality.  HA!  I had pictured this quiet morning with just the three of us, sitting at a little table, painting and laughing, and just enjoying the togetherness while trying a new activity.  Hmmmm....
 Let's just say that my expectations for a 2 year old and painting pottery were a little too high, because after about 2 1/2 minutes he was "all done" and Andrew & I were left scrambling to complete the several pieces we had selected, while trying to maintain order and appropriate behavior with a toddler in a very breakable/potentially messy situation.
It was still a fun time, and I would definitely return with some girlfriends.  But it's just a bit time consuming and detail oriented for a toddler to be able to handle.  So, in the end, I apologized to my then cranky husband and child and we made it all better by enjoying a relaxing lunch at Chic-Filet.
Although I will say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE how everything turned out!!
Christmas at Silver Dollar City is always something to look forward to, and Andrew and I hadn't been since we were dating (6 years ago)!  So, we had one last free pass to use and thought we'd brave through the cold temperatures and enjoy a Sunday evening at the park.
Our little man chowed down on snacks from his lunchbox (yes i'm cheap), while enjoying "Frosty the Snowman" on stage in an adorable outdoor child's theater.
We left Frosty a little early because we couldn't wait to get on board the train!!  Hunter kept hearing the "choo-choo" whistle and just insisted on riding it!
I love the fact that SDC is a Christian based organization and emphasize the REAL MEANING of Christmas.  Hunter could have spent the rest of the evening on that train, and though we enjoyed the ride and storytelling of Jesus's birth, we were able to convince him that shooting guns in the Lost Mine would be alot of fun too!  :)  His favorite ride was definitely the carousal, which we rode over and over . . .
and over . . .
and over . . .
and over again. . .
Once again it took some convincing, but we managed to remove ourselves from the carousal long enough to play on a couple other rides.  We all had a lot of fun climbing through the tree house and bouncing in the nets (even IF mommy & daddy were a bit too big!)
The biggest surprise of the night -- Hunter had grown since this summer and can now ride the SWINGS!  (actually I believe it was a combination of the boots & knit hat he was wearing) But we were all super excited!  He may have gotten a tiny bit dizzy going in circles for so long, but he was ready to do it again the second he stepped off!  :)  
I sure hope he continues to love rides like the rest of the family does!!
It got really cold once the sun went down and Hunter refused to keep anything on his hands; but before leaving the park we were able to grab some kettle corn & hot chocolate and cozy up to watch the lighting of the Christmas Tree and then the parade.  And once again I appreciated that Santa Clause led the parade but it's focus was on Jesus, who was celebrated in the finale. 
I love everything about Christmas and being able to celebrate it here was beautiful.  I love the lights, the sounds, the smells, the tastes, the people, and the warm atmosphere.  
And I love making memories with my family . . .
Pa came up to keep Hunter while I attended a CE course . . .
And brought a friend . . . 
And possibly gave him too much sugar for his grapes and strawberries 
- but that's just my guess ;)
We had friends over for breakfast-4-dinner with Christmas tree shaped pancakes and a sleep over!!
 We also had a minor accident . . .
that could have potentially been a major one (thankful for God's grace) . . .
 which led us to 2 conclusions:
 1. It's not always cheaper / easier to just "fix it" yourself
2. I (Mandy Williams) will never again agree to "hold the ladder"
Nanna Cheree came to visit and stayed with us a couple of days to entertain and love on Hunter while we were at work . . . Hunter told he didn't give all my hugs and kisses away, he "just shared them a bit-a-dit"  :)  
We were invited over for a Christmas lunch and play date at Jill & Kellen's, along with our friends Stacy, Payton, Parker, Abby, Ava, and Landon.  It's always a great time visiting with girlfriends over a yummy meal and the kids loved having a "jump party" on a blow-up mattress in the living room.
Hunter had his Christmas party at KDO!!  
(and it was reported that there were no tears for the 2nd week in a row!! Though the little stinker wouldn't give me one single smile before dropping him off )
And while my little man was celebrating, I joined my office for our lunch celebration at AQ Chicken House!  'MMMMM 'MMMMM   I'm so blessed to work with truly wonderful friends.
Hunter is really understanding more and more these days, which has made Christmas talk so much fun!  He loves to hear stories about Santa Clause, which I typically follow up with the story of Jesus' birth (which Hunter finds amusing that "the baby was born in a barn and slept in the animals' food bowl" rather than in a bed, in the hospital)  He's super excited about celebrating Jesus's birthday and wants to share the birthday cake with Santa Clause and his reindeer.  LOL !! 

"And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth."
Luke 1:14

No comments:

Post a Comment