Sunday, November 27, 2011

My Kind of Day...

Yes, it's been another one of those amazingly wonderful kind of days . . . one of several this week in fact.  Not that anything "special" has happened but more for the fact that I've had the ability to appreciate the specialness of every little thing throughout the last few days.  Maybe it's the fact that Thanksgiving is drawing closer and I've been praying about being more thankful - and now God is blessing my request by opening my eyes to even the smallest and simplest joys in life . . .
 There's been enough chill in the air to keep us indoors this week, which means being a bit more creative about our play time to ensure Hunter's large amount of energy is released in positive ways.  :)   So I recruited his skills for baking, and he "helped" me try out a new *from scratch* recipe for S'mores Bars that I'd found on Pinterest.  I love being with my little man more than anything else and I am so so thankful and so blessed that I have the ability to be that 'stay-at-home-mom' I've always dreamed of being.  So here's a shout out to my husband, who I am also thankful for, who works so hard to make it possible for me to do this.  It's not always the most glamorous, and definitely not the easiest job, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.  
(still working on potty training. *note the adorable baby booty cheeks*)
I love the way baking makes my house smell! I'd probably do it more often if it didn't make such a huge mess - HA!  Break and bake is still an awesome alternative in my opinion.  Anyhow, we set a couple cookies aside for ourselves and divided up the rest to give away as Thanksgiving treats.  Hunter thought it was such a fun idea to take a batch to Daddy's & Mommy's friends at work, but of course froze up when the time came to drop them off.  :)  And yes, they were absolutely delicious.  I will be making these again very soon!
We also made a trip to the library this week.  I found a few books about dinosaurs, trucks, and bears that I knew my little man would enjoy (which, in less than 24 hours, I have already read all 10 books, a couple of them multiple times).  I guess I can stop worrying over the fact that he's never been enthusiastic over reading books. HA!
I also picked up a couple new ones for myself.  I've been reading 'Outflow' which is a great spiritual encourager!  But the other two are more for parental/child behavior encouraging.  Andrew and I have been leaning towards the idea of transitioning Hunter to his own big-boy bed . . . yes, a scary and BIG DEAL for us.  So we'll see.  :)  And then we're still trying to find the best way to handle our little man's strong-willed personality and temper.  So, hopefully I can get a few ideas from these selections!!  *Fingers Crossed*
 Our first crackling fire this fall - one of the very few things I love about cold weather.  There's just something wonderful about curling up around the warmth of a fire!  Hunter LOVES to help his Daddy with the fire.  He started asking me the second we woke up the next morning to start another one.  But after explaining that it was his and Daddy's special night time job - he quit asking . . . until the second his Daddy walked through the door after work.  :)  
Funny how things can look so different when you're looking through a heart of thankfulness . . . I've been seeing Hunter's toys around the house a little differently lately.  I guess it's the fact that I realize these precious pieces of my sons everyday life will too soon be packed away, as his interests change and grow.  And though I have moments that I wish my house could stay put together for longer than a few minutes, I can already feel the sadness for the day when there won't be any toys to pick up.  So for now I will cherish the many many trains & trucks, ride-ons, and other randomly left nik-nacs and toys scattered around my house.  Because honestly, they are just beautiful signs that this precious little boy God has blessed me with, is enjoying life to its fullest! 
Which brings us to tonight, where we enjoyed a wonderfully relaxing evening, cozied up around the fireplace.  We played Yahtzee, while enjoying the last of the cookies and homemade hot chocolate with Nutella (another treat I found on Pinterest).  I typically enjoy the great taste of Swiss Miss's no sugar added plus calcium, so this was quite the indulgence!!  YUMM-Y!! 
(and I will only slightly gloat on the fact that Hunter and I beat Daddy 3-zip)

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. 
1 Chronicles 16:34

No comments:

Post a Comment