Friday, October 28, 2011

Mommy & Me

My Son

Life is fleeting, years rush past,                                                                           

and little boys grow up so fast.
Let me take time out to be
thankful mine is still here with me.
And though I am busy through the day,
let me take the time to play.
Let me take the time out to smile,
to sit with him just for a while.
Let me take time out for walks,
for swings and sports and quiet talks.
For sharing giggles, tickles and hugs,
for patching knees and catching bugs.
For running races, climbing trees,
for helping with his A, B, Cs.
For hatching plots and planning schemes,
for listening to his thoughts and dreams.
Let me tuck him in at night,
hear his prayers, turn off the light.
And when my busy day is done,
let me thank God I have a son.                                                                         
-Anonymous


Every day my I look at my little man and can't believe how fast he is growing up.  For the most part, I still see him as my tiny baby - just always growing and changing.  I understand that he is actually still quiet little, especially when I know that in just a couple of years I will be looking back at baby-faced videos and pictures truly realizing how little he actually was.  But then there are other times when I watch him and I see not only my baby, but a real little boy.  When did that happen??  I could probably shed a tear if I allowed myself to dwell on how quickly these precious moments are flying by, but instead I will focus on the now.  Being at home with Hunter is one my life's greatest joys so far.  I cannot express how fortunate I feel to be able to be a stay-at-home Mommy 5/7 days a week.  It's something I've always wanted and am very thankful to my husband, that he works so hard to help make it happen.  Understanding this, I want to truly cherish the BIG & little treasures each day brings, joyfully witnessing my little man change before my very eyes.  What a blessing God has given me to feel the great intensity of a mother's love . . .
The Sand Box
Hunter literally spent over 2 hours digging and playing in his water table - turned sand box today.  He LOVES the new transition and asks to play in it several times a day.  Although much messier, this new activity seems to be an even bigger hit than the water table this summer.
 
 
Hanging on to every bit of warm sunshine - while it lasts!!
 
 My 2 precious men surprised me with these GORGEOUS fall flowers the other day!  They lasted for almost 2 weeks and got prettier every day!!  Hunter still talks about bringing them home to me :)
Trying to keep some creativity in our daily routine at home, I pulled this old toy of Colt's out my closet stash and we gave it a try.  HA!  I have such great memories of this "Dr. Dreadful's Lab" set that allowed me and Colt to create rubbery bugs of all shapes, sizes, and colors - so when I was setting it up, I was just as excited about it as Hunter.  The catch:  after about 15 years in storage, these kind of toys don't always work accordingly.  Oh, my goodness!!  It was a disaster - the oven FRIED our bugs, to the point that the toy is forever ruined and leaving us with nothing but a horribly stinky house!!  Hunter still had fun . . . I just waited until nap time to throw it all away.
Finger Paint - much easier!!  
This was MY first time using this awesome stuff - Hunter on the other hand, informed me that he'd already played with it at school and that the teacher puts several colors on a plate for him to dip from - seriously??  I got the feeling that he felt superior and more knowledgeable than me . . . and maybe he was :)
We love to play in the rain!  One rainy day during the summer, probably the only day this summer it actually did rain, I took Hunter on a run in his stroller.  It had been soooo hot, so this light drizzle felt great!  Ever since that day, if there is even the slightest hint of rain, my little man bundles up in his jacket - hood on and all - and begs to play in the rain until I finally give in.  
Never seen a sweeter face
Love me some BIG Brown Eyes
Ahh . . . the taste of rain
Funny Story
A few nights ago, I was trying to get Hunter to try on a pair of last years pj's to see if they still fit, but of course he didn't want any part of it.  So, trying to be a good mommy, I started talking about the big bear that he had on his belly.  I guess he took it a little too seriously and so when I zipped him up he ran across the room and told me "Mommy Hide!"  So I covered my eyes with my hands and while peeking through my fingers, watched as he carefully positioned his tiny hands.  Finally, when the bear's eyes were completely covered, he told me, "It's OK Mommy."  My sweet little man protected his mommy from that big ole' bear for the next hour, telling me to "hide" every time he needed to use his hands, until I finally decided that different pj's were probably in order.  :)
Fall Fun
We're really getting the hang of mommy-son craft time.  Hunter gets so excited just hearing the word 'craft' he starts clapping and saying 'YEAH!!!" hahaha  So, I couldn't resist copying this sweet fall idea from a friend of mine, who had found it on Pinterest ( my current guilty pleasure! ).  I sooo love that my enjoyment for decorating my home now includes finger-paint.  :)
Mommy 'helped' with one . . . and Hunter wanted to do one all by himself.
He's my right hand man!!  
Hunter loves to "hep mommy" with EVERYTHING, whether it be putting away the dishes, cleaning the windows or sweeping the floors, sorting laundry, or his favorite task - COOKING!!  This was his first attempt at making peanut butter cookies, and instead of rolling the dough into balls, he preferred "snakes".  I just love how his little mind works . . .

You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
2 Timothy 2:1

No comments:

Post a Comment