Monday, April 8, 2013

Hudson 1 Month

On Thursday, December 6th, you turned one month old!
Stats:
Birth--   8'10  &  21in
3 Days--  8'3  & 21in
2 Weeks--  8'12  &  21.5 in

Diapers:
Newborn Pampers Swaddlers

Clothing:
Newborn & 0-3mo
Being the holiday season, it seems like this month has flown by. In just 4 short weeks you've already done & seen so much! You have:
-Enjoyed your 1st Thanksgiving at Granny & Papaw's with all the Hicks'
-Visited Meme & Pa in Hot Springs
-Had LOADS of attention & love from visiting family & friends
-Attended your 1st Christmas Parade & lighting of the Fayetteville Square
-Met your new cousin Mackenzie Casto
-Was lugged around Silver Dollar City ALL DAY with minimal complaints
-Had your 1st playdate with Abby, Ava, & Landon at the mall's play center
SLEEP:
So far you are AWESOME - at least in comparison to your big brother.  You sleep swaddled in your bassinet, very happily.  We move it to and from the living room and our bedroom, and so far Hunter's loudness doesn't seem to bother you one bit.  :)  Your naps usually last 3 hours during the day, as well as through the night, although you've even given me a few 5 hour stretches! Besides your bassinet, you nap in your swing and of course in Mommy's arms (when brother is being occupied elsewhere-lol).
EATING HABITS:
Excellent.  You came into this world hungry and ready to nurse.  You acted like you were starving until my milk finally came in and since then you've been a happy camper.  You are a good nurser but don't seem to be as attached as Hunter was.  I'm not a big clock watcher and pretty much feed you when you act hungry, but that usually ranges anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours.  I don't remember nursing being this painful . . . at this point my toes still curl & my eyes fill with tears with each latch.  Thankfully one glance at your precious face reminds me why I'm doing this!  ;)  Against the La Leche guidelines (lol), I went ahead and gave you a bottle - I'm determined you will take one, unlike Hunter who never did.  You took your 1st bottle at 2 weeks old like a pro (getting our hopes up) because the next couple of attempts you weren't very happy about . . . but I will not give up! :)
Although you are a great eater, your tummy seems to cause you a bit of discomfort. You are SUPER GASSY and have earned the nicknames "tooter" & "stinker" both of which Hunter thinks are hilarious.  And boy do they STINK!  lol  I was describing this issue to a friend but it wasn't until she witnessed it for herself that she understood & was amazed how potent you can be!  hahaha  We very quickly went gone through your first bottles of Mylicon drops & Gripe Water, even though neither seem to help much.  I went without dairy, beans, & caffeine for an entire week but nothing really changed so I am hoping it's something you will just grow out of or adjust to.  
ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
-Bye Bye Hematoma! This was more of an accomplishment of God's but it's also the most notable.  After much research, worry, and prayer, God touched you and to our AMAZEMENT, your hematoma completely resorbed almost overnight at just 4 weeks old.  Thank you Jesus.
-You are very strong and can lift & hold your head up really well and can even "stand" & put weight on your legs
-More of a milestone for mommy, but we (me & you boys) survived our 1st (and probably last for a long time) trip to Wal-Mart.  It was a complete nightmare . . . though much of it was due to poor mommy planning.  Thinking back, it was doomed from the beginning. You fell asleep in your carseat so I decided to make the trip 'while we were out' after I picked up Hunter from KDO who was of course tired & cranky by then.  Once we arrived and I placed your carseat in the cart, I realized that Hunter was now required to walk because I had an extensive grocery list that would quickly fill up the large part of the cart (dun dun dunnn).  This was a first for us as well, and although my big man cooperated fairly well, he's still a curious & 'helpful' 3 year old little boy that added strain to the situation.  Your nap came to an end about 15 minutes into our shopping trip and you screamed hysterically unless I held you, making it VERY difficult to wrangle Hunter, steer the cart, and finish the shopping.  Several people stopped & offered to help but I declined and pushed onward.  By the time we reached the check-out counter, my nerves were shot and I was barely hanging on to my sanity.  A very kind woman approached me & offered to help (you were screaming uncontrollably at this point) but once again I smiled and said, "oh that's ok, thank you."  Then on the way to the car, another kind man offered to help me unload my sacks into my car but again I smiled & said "I got it, thanks!"  On my drive home I tried to calm my nerves and thought back about our difficult trip, and suddenly I realized how many times God had tried to 'help' me and I'd turned Him down every single time . . .  attempting to "do it on my own."  I made the decision right then to be more open & accepting of help when it's offered because not only will I be blessed, but those offering will also receive a blessing.  **Since then I've only gone to Wal-Mart (usually late at night) when Daddy has been able to watch both of you boys.  :)
(You have also been a sport and let me play dress up a few times - here you are wearing an antique baby gown that your Pa Kenneth, Uncle Colt, & Big Brother have all worn)
NEW DISCOVERIES YOU'VE MADE:
-Found my hair which I am determined will not be "twiddled" or become your "comfort" as was is still Hunter's.  Though somehow you always manage to find it, resulting in a permanent ponytail for Mommy.  ;)
-Recognize my voice and will turn your head towards it, but even sweeter - you recognize Hunter's and already seem to light up when he talks to you.
-Are a noise maker. You grunt and coo and continually make noises, especially when you nurse.
-Are very alert and very squirmy, and already trying to hold your head up some.
-Discovered your fists and enjoy sucking on them . . . I wonder if this is a sign of a future thumb sucker?  I've been encouraging you to take a paci, which you did really well with at first, but with each passing day you like it less and less.  :(
-I introduced you to a cuddly new puppy, who I hope becomes a "lovie/comfort" for you (something else I wished I had done with Hunter)  We shall see!
We kicked off the Christmas season with a Mommy-shoot, where you so perfectly modeled the precious Christmas diapers your Aunt Emily gave you.
I can't get enough of your beautiful dark cap of hair and chubby newborn rolls.
Of course I had to snap a few pictures of you in your "My 1st Christmas" gown 
. . . and just soooo sweet in your reindeer pjs
YOUR LOOKS:
-Every single time I look at you my heart smiles and a warmth comes over me.  I've loved and known you for 10 months now, but finally getting the privilege to SEE you, just fills my heart with joy.  (And you are SO PRETTY! Of course I know I'm a tiny bit partial, but truly, you really are a pretty baby)
-At 4 weeks old, just as your hematoma was disappearing, baby acne started popping up  :( 
-Some people say you look just like Hunter, but it's difficult for me to see the resemblance unless I look back at pictures and then I can sometimes see it.  But mainly I see, and am told by most, that you look like me/my baby pictures; the dark complexion, the nose, mouth, cheeks.  Your face shape is longer or more narrow, like your Daddy's, and your ears (although not tiny) lay against your head (unlike the Wright's - hehehe).  I guess you're just a mixture of us all!
Loving You:
At 4 weeks old, I left you with Daddy for 2 hours while Hunter was at Awana's, so that I could enjoy a "break" shopping at Hobby Lobby.  I surprised myself with how easy it was to leave you for the 1st time.  I figure its because you are "easier" and I knew you would be happy while I was gone, and Daddy has had some pretty good practice in the last 3 years.  :)  It was nice, but I was very happy to get back home to you.

Happy 1 Month Tiny Man
You have managed to double the size of my heart in an instant.  It's amazing how God expands it so that I don't have to "make room" or take any away from anyone else . . .   Never could I've imagined the incredibly deep love & unbelievable joy that you and your big brother have opened up or created inside of me.  I already can't imagine life without you and (though its hard to explain with words) when I think back to life before you, it's as if you were actually already there, already a part of our family - just watching us from afar, waiting for that perfect timing of God's, to allow you to fully join in.  Hudson Ryder, you are such a joy. Such a blessing. Such a precious gift.  I love you HUGE GINORMOUS MUCH and am just crazy silly about you!

But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
    let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
    that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
Psalm 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment