Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hunter's 1st Day of School

Today was an exciting day in the William's House!!  Hunter attended his first day at Kids Day Out (or Mother's Day out) at Cross Church in Springdale.  He has been SUPER pumped ever since going to Open House last week!  We've been preparing for this day for a little while now since he isn't a "social butterfly," talking about it and getting ourselves excited!  
A few weeks ago, it was brought to my attention that Hunter would be expected to lay down on a nap mat and take a nap by himself... Hmm... riiiight.  After 2 years of rocking, reading, singing, and holding this child for every nap and at bedtime, (minus the times we attempted to try any other method) I wan't holding my breath for that one to work out.  But, I decided we would start practicing, at least to help both the teachers and Hunter adjust to this notion.  We started out with help from our friends Cassie, Kasen, & Shelby.  Since they have been taking naps at their house like this all summer, we tried the technique at here - Hunter thought of it as a game and complied very well - until he realized he was actually supposed to sleep!  Then he begged, 'mommy wock.'  So it didn't work immediately but at least it was a step in the right direction!  So here we are a couple weeks later and things are improving.  Hunter lays down on his pallet and gets to watch 15 minutes of Caillou or Chugginton and then he is supposed to go to sleep.  He minds very well and doesn't get up, but has only fallen asleep once... but I was soooo proud, of course I took a picture!!!  But as for his first day at school, it went about as well as I expected... he didn't nap.  So after we came home and the excitment had worn off, Grandmommy rocked him and he finally drifted off...
In preparing for school, we also shopped for a backpack!!  Grandmommy ended up getting him the perfect one, which Hunter, for once, didn't have an opinion about - he just wanted to put it on his back, but his Mommy LOVES it!! That cute little monster just reminds me of someone...  :)
We also shopped for his lunchbox, which was hysterical!!  I had been telling him that we were going to Wal-Mart to find him a lunchbox to take to school and that he could pick it out ALL BY HIMSELF!  (I know, seriously, what was I thinking)  Anyways, when we got there everything was extremely picked over but Hunter saw immediately which one he wanted... DORA!!  Well of course they don't make boy Dora lunch boxes, so here it was bright pink and flowery!!  He was SO proud and SO excited about it... but I knew his daddy would have a fit. LOL  So with all my mommy powers, I swayed him to finally agreeing that the Cars' one with Lightning & Mater was way cooler - Whew!!  After that, I decided for sure, I wasn't going to ask what he wanted to wear on his first day of school!
Finally, last night, after having the same conversation about 'waiting to pack his lunch til the night before' for a couple of days - HE GOT TO PCK HIS LUNCH!!  You would have thought he was going to Disney World...  He was thrilled (it was adorable).  I had bought him this neat little bento box from pottery barn to store all of his food in and he had the best time packing each compartment.  (it was a little starchy in the end with pretzels, chips, & animal crackers, so I had to do some switch-a-roos early this morning). But as long as it had his beloved 'juuuice-box' inside, I'm pretty sure he was happy with it.
 Which brings us back to today!!  Hunter woke up excited, and without ANY fussing or complaints, ate breakfast, brushed his teeth, and allowed himself to be combed, diapered, and dressed (even shoes)!!  He was even happier when Grandmommy showed up to see him off on his first day!  What a handsome little man we have...
 As we were unloading out of the car, Abby called out and told Hunter that Ava was in their class waiting for him.  That was all he needed!!  He took off running saying, "Yeah!!!"  Inside was a bit chaotic which would have typically set him off into hysterics but not today!  We placed his things in his special spot under his name and took a few last photos for Daddy with my phone (he looks scared but I think it was frustration with mommy & the camera!  HA)  **note** If Hunter were big enough he would have earned 'a most embarrassing moment' - As he stood there letting mommy take a few last photos, his shorts slipped down all the way to his ankles!!  He has the tiniest little booty and MOMMY FORGOT TO PIN THEM!!  I felt horrible for a moment but then realized he had no idea that mooning his friends on his first day of school was a big deal, so then I couldn't help but to laugh... what a memory maker!!
Ava was waiting for him like a good friend!!
There was a slight hesitation for just a moment when he pulled my hand for me to come in the room with him, but I told him to go on and have fun with his friends - and HE DID!!  What a big boy he's turning into... he just amazes me.

To my Hunter-man,
You amaze me every day (sometimes even by the minutes) with your love and charm.  You are a joy to be around and fill my day with warmth.  These past couple of months I have seen an amazing change in you, I guess it's called growing up.  You chatter away with stories and fascinating thoughts, which catches me so off-guard after I realize we've been exchanging in actual conversation!!  You are understanding and reasoning with brilliance which is making life around the house so much easier, and incredibly humorous.  You melt me with your 'walk-bye kisses and pats' and your 'hi mommy, hi' when I  walk into the room, even if I'm just coming from the laundry room.  You make me want to be a better person in general, knowing how you notice all the little details of the real me.  I hope I make you proud and that you can feel how much you are loved and adored...  I've never experienced anything like you; my love for you is immeasurable!  Days like today cause me to realize how quickly our time together is passing, and yes, it makes me slightly sad, but more than anything it makes me appreciate and hold on to every moment we have together.  I so look forward to all of your 'firsts' that are to come!!  You will always be my precious, tiny, angel - no matter how big you get!!  
I love you little man - forever and ever,
Mommy

Fear not, for I am with you;  be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you,  I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment