Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Christmas We Won't Forget - 2012

Growing up, it seemed Christmas really kicked off when our Christmas break from school began.  And so once again when Hunter had his Christmas party and last day at Kids Day Out, I felt like Christmas was officially HERE!  
 I loved that he brought home a hand painted Christmas Tree dough-ornament, to match the one I have on our tree that I made when I was in 1st grade.  :)  He is always so proud to show off all his goodies from school.  This year they did a book swap and he came home with a new Clifford book that he loves.
 A couple days later Santa-Pa showed up bearing MORE goodies.
 There was no time to waste -- time to try out the new toys!  Always a fun time when Pa comes around.
 Framer.
Pretty sure Pa never dreamed he'd have TWO little men who adored him and who he loved so much.  :)  
Christmas Eve
When it comes to presents, Hunter absolutely takes after Andrew - not me.  I've always been the kind to want to wait to open presents so that the special day still feels special.  Not Andrew, and as we've learned, definitely not Hunter...
Oh. My. Goodness. This child of mine. 
 Mom had brought up all of her gifts early, so all of our presents had been sitting wrapped under the tree for a couple of days. Hunter had played around with them but never even acted the least bit like he would disturb them in any way.  So when I came out of Hudson's bedroom after putting him down for his morning nap and heard the oddest sounds - like frantically tearing & shredding of paper - I never dreamed that would actually be what it was!!
I guess his excitement and curiosity took over and within seconds his adrenaline had him ripping into those packages with a furry!  I came running down the stairs and exclaimed "HUNTER STEELE" which sent him jumping into the air like a startled cat & hiding behind a chair for just a moment, before coming out and telling me with a shaky voice (both scared about being caught & too excited for words), 
"Wook Mommy - A CWANE... AND a FORKWIFT!"
I managed to hold in any laughter and my knee-jerk reaction for discipline, and tried to think of the best way to handle the situation at hand. More than anything I was disappointed that Grandmommy & Pops weren't going to get to witness the pure joy and excitement their gifts were bringing him, so the best way to help that problem was to switch on the Iphone video to capture as much as I could...
He was sooooo excited... and it was Christmas Eve... and I knew Grandmommy would be even more upset if she thought her precious little man was getting in trouble over opening her presents. So we had a little talk about patience and how opening gifts early makes those that give them sad, and his consequence was not being allowed to take them out of the box to play with until after Grandmommy & Pops arrived. (which was sooooo difficult for him)
Mom and I had been on the lookout of a crane for over 6 months when we came upon this awesome find at TJMaxx for a bargain... love that place!
Ohhh but the little stinker didn't stop there with his antics.  Oh no, Hunter wanted to MAKE SURE this was a Christmas none of us would forget.  Later that evening, he went on to completely embarrass me in front of my brother when he opened his present from Uncle Colt -- a new red football that's just his size & a perfect gift -- but instead, told him very disappointedly that he "didn't need it because we already have one."  And it got worse after Andrew had taken him aside to explain to him how "that was unappreciative & unkind and how sometimes we are given gifts that we may already have, so when that happens we need just to say thank you & we can later take it to a store & exchange it" and not hearing this conversation, I suggested that Hunter & Colt take the football out to play with it, forcing Hunter to loudly proclaim that "NOOOOOOO!!! Daddy said we can take it back to the store."  I.Was.Mortified.  Hopefully one day when Uncle Colt has kids he will look back on this and think it was funny.  :/
(Notice the expression on Hunter's face.)  
Colt was "happy, happy, happy" with his very own Uncle Si tea glass
Hunter has had 'Rudolf' since his 1st Christmas & loves him
I snapped this picture and then insisted we play a game or do something together.  There's nothing wrong with a little technology, but occasionally it sucks us in!
So we bundled up and headed for the tennis courts & playground.  Though not everyone was excited to make the trip.
After a few cuddles, this precious blue snuggle bunny was nice & cozy
I could sit & stare at each of his little features for the rest of my life and be so happy...
Family photo as we headed to the Outback for Christmas Eve dinner, a tradition we started when I was pregnant with Hunter.  :)
It's not Christmas Eve until the Christmas PJs are put on...
Mommy & babies photo attempt #7
attempt #27
and finally #107 -- SUCCESS  (if you can ignore the fact that it's blurry)
Before heading to bed we always tell the story of Jesus's birth - the true reason we celebrate Christmas.  Hunter enjoyed playing & acting out the story, all month long, with this antique porcelain nativity my mom passed down to me.  I LOVE to listen to his interpretation as he narrates the story in his precious 3 1/2 year old voice. 
Can't forget to set out treats for Santa & his Reindeer!  (and yes - Santa gets his milk in a frozen mug at our house)
"the children were nestled all snug in their beds..."
Even the picture brings such warmth, happiness and peace.  

MERRY CHRISTMAS 2012

Scoping out the presents Santa Clause brought:  
Green for Hunter and Red for Hudson
Just waiting for the 'Go Ahead'
No hesitation this year!  He knew exactly what to do! hahaha
Baby brother enjoyed watching all of the excitement
And gave Grandmommy & Pops some sweet coos & smiles
This look is worth a thousand words...
The so called "Mighty Truck" that was on his "check wist"was and still is absolutely one of his favorites.
The BIG gift!! His very own Iphone! 
(sounds crazy I know, but it functions for gaming only & is actually just my old one in a new kid safe case -- but he didn't know that)  :)
Two very blessed little boys to have these two wonderful grandparents.
GROWN-UPS TURN  :)
Andrew knows me well -- pretty (comfy) panties and some 'panty drawer' $$  :)
And the best present I could have asked for!  A wonderful 1st Christmas with our handsome little Hudson Ryder...
Actually, a wonderful Christmas with all 3 of my handsome men!
I love how relaxing Christmas Day is... lounging around in pjs all day, visiting & enjoying family, watching Christmas movies on tv, playing with new toys & gadgets, snacking on delicious foods... 
Buffalo Wild Wings for Christmas dinner??  Oh yes we did.  HA!
One last moment to glance around and soak up every ounce of Christmas spirit, as it will soon be packed away until next year...
This year more than ever, I guess having just carried & delivered Hudson, my thoughts were with Mary.  All that she had been through during her first pregnancy, all that she endured as a mother with her son, her trust in God, her faith, her willingness, her courage, and her strength... it all just absolutely amazes me.

“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us)
Matthew 1:23

No comments:

Post a Comment