Saturday, January 12, 2013

Hunter's Jesus Conversation


1.12.13

I would have given my right arm to have the conversation recorded between Hunter & I tonight at bedtime . . . and I knew that I had to immediately write it down while it was still fresh in my mind because even the most adorable things have been forgotten by this sleep-deprived mommy brain lately.
So as we snuggled next to each other in his bunkbed, I asked my usual question, "what do you want to pray about tonight?"  He answered, "Daddy on his airplane (Andrew is traveling for work) and that Jesus gives us more good mens and not bad mens."  (I believe this thought came from Andrew's explanation on why he had to hold our hand at the mall today)  :)  I thought that was a great start, added a few other prayer requests, and then we prayed together.  After our 'amen' I said the usual, "ok... I love you, now close your eyes & no more talking" but Hunter quickly interrupted, "wait -- just ONE more thing..."  

I had no idea of the PRECIOUS conversation that was about to unfold . . .

H: Why does Jesus make bad mens?

Me: Jesus doesn't make men bad, but He gives us the choice to be good & obey Him, or to be bad.  Just like how you sometimes choose to not obey mommy??  

H: But I not a bad men.

Me: (oops) Noooo, not at all.  Just sometimes we all do things we aren't supposed to - even good men, but Jesus forgives us when we say we are sorry - just like mommy does when you tell me you're sorry.  But those bad men, they don't have Jesus living in their hearts. 

H: Why Him not live in their hearts?

Me: Well, because we have to ask Jesus to live in our hearts, and I guess they never wanted to ask Him . . . or maybe they don't know who Jesus even is. 

H: Why them not know Him?  I know who Him is . . . at Awana's, my teachers tell me.  And they tell me about them 4 men, who cut a hole in the roof of this house, and lowered the sick man down to Jesus . . .  I see His picture at Awanas, I know what Him looks like.

Me: (heart smiles) That's right!  That's a great story about Jesus loving us.

But some people don't have mommies or daddies that know who Jesus is either and they never told them about Him, or took them to Awanas.  And that's why Jesus tells us that it's our job to tell EVERYONE about Him, so everyone will know who He is and ask Him to live in their hearts.  And you know what, if all those bad men would ask Jesus to come live in their hearts, then Jesus would help them be good men.  

H: But I is a good men . . . and but Jesus not lives in mys heart.

Me: (barely managing to hold back giggles) You are a good boy.  And that's the reason why Mommy & Daddy pray every night that as you & Hudson grow up & get bigger, that ya'll will know, and love, and listen to Jesus and that you will ask Him to live in your heart forever.

H: But Him lives up in the sky?!

Me: Yep, in Heaven . . .  : )

H: Is Heaven Hims middle name?

Me: No, (holding in laughter) Heaven is where we go when we die . . . to live with Jesus FOREVER & EVER

H: At Hims house?

Me: In a HUGE mansion house . . . and instead of us having a house, and Grandmommy & Pops having a house, and Nannie & Papa having a house - we will ALL live together in Jesus' HUGE house in Heaven.

H: (very long pause to process all of this....)
and the bad men too?

Me: If the bad men ask Jesus to live in their hearts, then Jesus will forgive them... and then, yes, they will live there too.  But that's why it's so important that Jesus lives in OUR HEARTS, and that we make sure and do our jobs of telling everyone about who Jesus is...   

H: (another looooong pause)

Me: Do you think you wanna ask Jesus to live in your heart?

H: (very nonchalant) Nahhh . . . I'm not ready yet . . . But I'll think about it

Me: (choking back laughter - I couldn't make this up if I tried) ok . . . well you can think about it, and when you are ready, you can tell me and I can help you ask Him.  I will love knowing that Jesus lives in your heart too.

H: I not hear you ask Him to live in yours??

Me: Because I asked Him to live in my heart when I was a little girl like you . . . and you only have to ask Him once -- just like mommy is always telling you, that I want you to listen & do it the very first time I ask -- So if we truly mean it, Jesus hears us the very first time and will live in our heart forever.

So you're going to think about it and tell me when you're ready?

H: mmmm hmmm.  (and then he snuggled in closer and shut his eyes . . .)

OHH my heart is so full...  
Hunter never ceases to amaze me.  I just LOVE his little thought process and how I can see the wheels turning in his mind as he sorts it all out.  Though I never dreamed that I'd be having such a pivotal conversation with Hunter at 3 1/2, I guess it's definitely one that I'd rather have earlier than later!  :)  What a blessing and privilege to be the one that was able to share that conversation with him...  There are no words to describe how much I enjoyed every single second of that special chat, snuggled up together, under the covers in that bunk bed.  I will cherish it forever.
Thank you Jesus for that gift . . . and for Your eternal gift.  I pray that as Hunter "thinks about it," that he will truly understand Your love for us, accepting You as his Savior, and that You will dwell in his heart forever more.

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Yet to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God.
John 1:12

This is the testimony in essence: God gave us eternal life; the life is in His Son. So, whoever has the Son, has life; whoever rejects the Son, rejects life. My purpose in writing is simply this: that you who believe in God’s Son will know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you have eternal life, the reality and not the illusion. And how bold and free we then become in His presence, freely asking according to His will, sure that He’s listening. And if we’re confident that He’s listening, we know that what we’ve asked for is as good as ours.
1 John 5:11-15 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment